Starting May 7, 2013, all Employers must only use the new version of Form I-9, Employment Eligibility Verification (released March 8, 2013), for new hires and re-verifications. You must re-verify an employee on the new Form I-9 if his or her temporary employment authorization has expired. You can find the new Form I-9 and instructions as well as the Handbook for Employers at http://www.uscis.gov/i-9. All previous versions will no longer be valid after May 6, 2013.
Here are a few tips for Employers:
• You will find the revision date of the new I-9 in the lower left corner (03/08/13).
• All current employees must have a Form I-9 on file.
• All new employees and re-verifications must be given the entire new Form I-9, including the “List of Acceptable Documents.”
• You should only accept documents that are unexpired when completing an employee’s Form I-9.
• Be sure to keep both pages together. You should consider printing two-sided copies.
• E-Verify users – List B documents must contain a photo, and the Social Security number field must be filled in.
If you have any questions, please contact us.